Seabra Xisto Ilimitado Tinto 2018

Tasting Notes


The Douro is the first demarcated western European appellation, established in 1756.  It is particularly known for the production of the fortified wine Port, but began a shift to the production of table wines in 1986, looking especially to the American market.  Luis Seabra is a former winemaker at the port house Nieeport, but left to make wines in the Douro under his own name.  He makes two lines, focusing on the two main soil types, Xisto (schist, the dominant type) and Granito (granite). 

This is a field blend from sustainably farmed vineyards planted from 1960 to 1980 in schist soil at 400-600 m (1,232-1,968 ft) elevation. Fermentation happened with indigenous yeast; 30% of the grapes were fermented in stone lagar with foot pigeage; and the other 70% in stainless steel vats, 100% whole cluster. After that maceration happened for 33 days (8 days in lagar, 25 days in tank). The wine was racked to neutral barrels for 1 year followed by 5 months in tank.

Xisto Illimitado is Luis Seabra’s idea of a “village” level Burgundy.


From the producer: High toned red and blue fruit aromas, tinged with wet stone and violets. On the palate, lush, but with bright acidity to balance the red cherry and pomegranate fruit. White pepper, slate and herbal aromas overlay the core of fruit on a juicy, fresh finish.


Enjoy with lamb, roasted game, ratatouille, bean stew, mushroom dishes, and hearty pasta with tomato sauce.

Food Pairing Suggestions

Charcuterie, Chicken/Turkey, Duck, Grilled preparations, Hearty stew, Hors d'oeuvres, Lamb, Mushrooms, Red Meat, Roasted Root Vegetables, Slow-smoked Barbeque/BBQ Sauce, Tapas, Tomato Sauce, Wild Game

$27.00 each
We're sorry, this product is currently unavailable.

Reasons may be:
Sold out until next delivery. We receive deliveries weekly, so please check back.
Out of stock in New York at the moment
Going through a vintage change. We are either waiting to taste the next vintage or waiting for its arrival to the U.S.

We normally remove items completely from our website if we do not intend to carry them in the future.