Araldica Fazzoletto Passito Barbera 2018

You May Also Enjoy:

Borsao Zarihs Syrah 2017
Walt Wines Blue Jay Pinot Noir 2019
Agostino Pavia Grignolino 2021
Tasting Notes

Aromas of dark chocolate, mocha, black licorice, and dried mulberries lead to a juicy and fruity set of flavors, concentrated but not heavy. Fresh, brambly acid rather than tannin provides the structure that supports the mouth-filling dark fruits, plums, cherries, chocolate, and coffee. It is medium-plus in body and length.

WINE INFORMATION

In 1954, under the leadership of Carlo Montrucchio, a group of 50 Piedmont winemakers formed a group to share ideas and techniques to improve their skills. It was called Antica Contea di Castelvero, the historic name for Caste Boglione, still the current headquarters. In 1963, Pietro Laudano and Livio Manero took over its direction; the enterprise grew in numbers and acreage. During the ‘70s it built one of the largest and most sophisticated barrel ageing cellars in Piedmont. In the mid ‘80s, Claudio Manero (Livio’s son) became the chief enologist, a position he still holds even though he is also the general manager of the group; Lella Burdese, now his wife, became quality control manager. All its member vineyards are certified sustainable, and the group works with universities, enological schools, and research institutes to refine its  practices. The co-op now has over 140 members and over 900 hectares of vines.

A fazzoletto was a red kerchief worn by Italian resistance fighter during World War II; it is now viewed as a symbol of freedom and rebellion. This wine is a rebellion of sorts, using the passito technique with the Barbera grape. After the grapes ripen fully, about 80% are harvested; the other 20% remain on the vine for another month, are hand-harvested, and dried for a further six weeks. This is slightly tricky, since the extra hang time provides opportunity for rot and lower acid levels; fortunately, Barbera is a high acid grape and takes well to this approach. The addition of the dried grapes concentrates flavors and aromas, intensifies the color, and makes the texture richer. Grapes for this wine come from southwest-facing slopes at 200-450 meters above sea level in the Monferrato hills on clay and limestone soils. The coolness of the higher altitude also helps the grapes ripen more slowly and retain acidity. The wine is bottled with three different labels, each with a famous sculpture and a fazzoletto.

Food Pairing Suggestions

Charcuterie, Duck, Pizza, Roasted Root Vegetables, Sausage, Tomato Sauce, Wild Game

Color/Type:
Red
Origin:
Italy, Piedmont
Grape Varietal:
Barbera
Price:
$15.00 each
  bottle(s)