Balestri Valda Soave Classico 2016

You May Also Enjoy:

Chateau Frank Célèbre Riesling Cremant NV
Patrick Piuze Chablis “Terroir de Chablis” 2016
Vidigal Vinho Verde Branco 2017
Tasting Notes

Rich, creamy aromas filled with freshness and depth, offering notes of beeswax, yellow apple, fresh herbs, and almond paste.  The palate is round and soft, yet has the perfect amount of acidity to provide lift and superb balance to the wine.  Stone fruits such as apricot and nectarine are countered by mango, wildflower, and a kiss of sweet lemon on the finish.  Medium weight with medium length.  

Balestri Valdi is a family estate in the heart of the Soave Classico region led by Guido Rizzotto, his daughter Laura, and son Luca. Together, they are passionate about raising local white grapes Garganega and Trebbiano di Soave using organic principles, and encouraging biodiversity on their site.  Along with vineyards, the estate is planted with olive groves and is home to a large number of honeybees that provide the estate and its visitors with ample honey. 
 
Grapes for this Soave Classico come from densely planted (4,000 vines per hectare) vines with an average age of 25 years, on clay-limestone and basaltic (volcanic) soils. Three different sites located in Sengialta, Monte Carniga, and Campagnola provide the grapes for this wine.  After hand-harvesting, the fruit is crushed, destemmed, and then fermented with native yeasts in stainless steel.
 
In 1968, the Soave DOC was created, followed 33 years later by the creation of the Soave Superiore DOCG in 2001.  Wines labeled as Soave DOC or have Classico DOC must be made up of at least 70% of Garganega and the remainder can be a blend of Trebbiano di Soave and Chardonnay.  In Soave Superiore bottlings, Pinot Bianco can also be added to the remaining 30% along with Trebbiano di Soave and Chardonnay.
 
The climate of the Soave region is mild and temperate, influenced by the warm Mediterranean breezes, and protected by the Alps and Dolomites from cool northerly winds.  Vineyards in the Soave Classico region are planted mainly on steep hillsides, therefore allowing adequate air flow and drainage.  
 
Color:
White
Origin:
Italy
Grape Varietal:
100% Garganega
Price:
$16.00 each
Wine is currently unavailable